Monday, January 30, 2012

Quiet Book - Doggy/Buckle Page

I really felt like Baby Bear's quiet book was going to need a page with some sort of buckle or clip, but wasn't sure how to incorporate it. Thankfully, while doing some cleaning around the house, I came across Zeus' puppy collar and my needed inspiration struck. Baby Bear needed a page with Zeus on it, and his old collar to buckle. The little lady's going to have to learn how to put his collar on anyways, so it was perfect.

I started by making a rough sketch of the dog's head, redoing it until I thought I had his head shape and features pretty accurately portrayed. Then I cut the main head piece out of black felt and the white piece of his face out of white felt. The eyes, nose and ears were all pretty easy to make to scale and I even gave him a licking tongue, since his licker is always giving Baby Bear kisses. I cut two more pieces of black and white felt for his neck then laid it out on the page. I glued the pieces down, starting with the bottom/large layers first, and finishing with the smaller details like his eyes and nose. I then sewed around every edge to make sure that Zeus' face won't fall off with use. I then cut two slits in the page and put the collar through, sewing the slits like button holes to prevent tearing and sewing the collar on so she can't pull it out. After cutting a tennis ball and a milk bone out and attaching some velcro to the back of both pieces, I was done. This is my favorite page so far and I have a feeling that it will be Baby Bear's favorite too. She LOVES her doggy.

I think it looks like him!


Collar un-clipped. The bone and tennis ball are the perfect size to stick on his mouth!

Can't wait to start work on the next page! Either dolly dress up or spring flowers.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment