Friday, March 23, 2012

Easter Headband

This last month has been absolutely crazy. Between my best friend visiting on her spring break from law school for a week, my husband being gone for two weeks for work, and being sick (stupid allergies!), I've hardly had any time to craft. I have a list of projects I want to do that literally covers an entire wipe off board, and hopefully life will slow down a little bit to help me get to some of them! 

With Easter coming up and living so far away from our family, we decided to go spend the holiday with our second "family" at our church at our last duty station. The people at that church welcomed us in with open arms and treated us as if we were their own kids. They even threw us a huge baby shower and fed us when the hurricane knocked out power out right after our daughter was born last summer. They always referred to us as "the kids," and even though they all have kids of their own, they let us be part of their families. I can't even begin to tell you how much these people mean to us or how blessed we feel to have been loved by these people. So needless to say, even though we're going to have a full day of driving, we're heading "home" for Easter. 

Easter has always been a "special dress" occasion for me. I remember having a special dress to wear as a kid each year and I still find myself buying a new outfit to wear to church every year even as an adult. It was very important to me that the baby has a special outfit because of this. Her dress is white and has pink, purple, blue and yellow flowers embroidered along the bottom hem. It's SO cute, I can't wait to put her in it! Since she still hasn't grown much more hair, I figured that she needs a special headband to match her pretty dress. Thank you to some inspiration from Pinterest and a ton of left over felt from her quiet book adventure, we now have this:


Felt Flower Head Band DIY:
Materials:
- elastic headband (you can make your own out of tights or a t-shirt, or buy one - this one is Goody brand from Target for little girls)
- felt pieces
- needle and thread
- hot glue or fabric glue
- 3 felt balls

Instructions:
1. Cut four tear drop shapes out of each color of felt, about an inch long
2. Arrange the four tear drops of the same color into a flower, then glue or sew the pieces together (I glued mine)
3. Cut a felt ball in half and glue the flat side down to the center of the flower. 
4. Repeat 2 and 3 for all three colors
5. After the glue has dried (or right away if you went the sewing route), decide how you will arrange the flowers on the headband, then sew them on, one at a time, taking care to go through all four layers of felt and the felt ball to ensure that it stays together and stays on the headband. 

Customize: You could add leaves or more flowers, or probably use a button instead of a felt ball!

I apologize for not taking step by step photos, as I was more worried about getting the project done before nap time was over! That is a sacred and rare event lately at my house!

Happy Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment