Saturday, March 31, 2012

5 Ways to Reuse Containers Around Your House

It's no secret that I'm a little bit obsessive when it comes to recycling. I try to reuse as much as possible and wanted to share a few of my reuse ideas with you!


1. Grease Collector
Many people use a metal can to collect grease and throw it away after one use because it can't be sealed to keep the stink in and the bugs out. Try using a glass jar with a lid instead so it can be used until full and keep unnecessary metal out of the landfill!

2. Drawer Organizer
I learned this one from my mom. Thank you cards, Christmas cards, really any set of greeting cards or personal checks that you buy comes in a box. Those boxes are usually the perfect size to hold items in a desk drawer, junk drawer or bathroom drawer. I used Christmas card boxes and lids to organize the supply drawer in our office. This drawer is a little bit chaotic at the moment, but you get the idea.


3. Laundry Soap Drip Catcher
Since most of the world is taller than I am, everywhere we live seems to have a high shelf over the laundry area that I can barely reach. Getting the soap out is enough of a challenge, so when the extra drips, there isn't much I can do about it. My brilliant hubs came up with this idea after watching me get angry at the laundry soap puddles on the floor next to our washer. Cut the bottom section off of a water bottle, leaving about 2 inches of the body of the bottle attached. Punch two holes on opposite sides of the little cup, thread with some yarn or string and hang it over the dispenser of your detergent. Drips stay in the catcher and my floor/ironing board/mop underneath stay soap-free!


4. Compost Collector
Being the pretend avid gardeners that we are, the hubs built us a composter (post to follow) to create fertile soil to add to our crappy, sandy soil. Hopefully next spring we'll have great garden soil to use! I washed out an Oxiclean container (because it has a lid) and am using that to collect fruit and veggie scraps and coffee grounds in my kitchen. This has to get emptied every night otherwise the compost items will putrefy, but it works great! It doesn't leak, the smell is contained until it's ready to go out, and I don't have to worry about leaving rotting food scraps in one of my kitchen bowls! 

5. Baking Soda Sprinkler
As I posted before, I have been using baking soda to clean just about everything in my house. Since I buy the big box, it has become somewhat cumbersome to lug around the house and shake out the right amount. A Parmesan cheese container is the perfect solution! Baking soda is stored in a dry container and it can be sprinkled or poured, depending on the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment