Thursday, December 29, 2011

Rustic Coasters

As anyone who has gotten married knows, after the wedding is over, you're left with a dozen or so centerpieces. I have 30 slices of a tree trunk, vases, drop in candle holders, and about a billion pine cones. There's a website you can sell them on now, but if you're lazy like me, that doesn't sound very appealing. Instead, I decided to repurpose some of my decorations into useful things instead of filling up my parents' basement with boxes of things to store. My first project: natural coasters out of the wood slices. My hubs' grandpa cut up a log for us into slices before the wedding, about an inch and a half thick. Then we polyurethaned the top and bottom to keep them from cracking, but left the bark natural. We probably could have stopped at this step and used them as is, but the slices slid on our end tables and knowing my luck, would result in a dark colored beverage spilled all over my light colored carpet.  Luckily, I had some extra grippie kitchen cabinet and drawer liner so we cut circles in the liner and used tacky glue to affix it to the bottom of the wood slices. I let them dry over night and wa-la! Pretty much free, recycled coasters!

Top

Bottom

Perfect coffee holder!

No comments:

Post a Comment