Thursday, December 22, 2011

Homemade Dog Treats!

Caught. I'm totally one of those people who gives gifts to their animal..and their animal's friends and cousins.. Last year, we hunted all over God's green earth for the perfect toy for Zeus' girlfriend, June, a black lab, until we finally found her one that had 12 squeakers in it.. Yes, TWELVE squeakers. June's humans probably weren't very happy with us for that one. While trying to think of something to get Lexi, my sister in law's black lab who we owe a thousand thank you's to for wearing out our 18 lb. monster on a regular basis, I decided that food was the way to go. She loves food. LOVES it. I've always wanted to make homemade dog treats, but haven't yet because my creature is the one dog in the entire world that doesn't like peanut butter, and almost all of the recipes I've found are peanut butter. What kind of dog doesn't like peanut butter? We're still not sure that our black and white energy ball is in fact a dog.. Anyways, here's the recipe I used from this website that has TONS of recipes in different flavors.

Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup peanut butter (all-natural or organic)
1 cup water
2 tablespoons oil 
Directions:Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine oil, peanut butter and water. Add flour, one cup at a time, forming a dough. Knead dough into firm ball and roll to 1/4 inch thickness.
Cut into 3 to 4 inch pieces. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

To make them festive, I used Christmas cookie cutters. I wrapped the treats up into a little cookie gift bag and put them under the tree. Hopefully Lexi will like them! 




No comments:

Post a Comment