Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Very EcoFriendly Wedding

It's no secret that I'm VERY ecologically minded. I mean, I did major in Parks and Recreation in college. And no, I don't want to be a park ranger. Anyways, when I started planning for my November wedding last spring, it was very important to me that we used as much natural material in the decor as possible, and also that we didn't make/buy a bunch of stuff that would just get thrown away. Who am I to generate a ton of extra trash with wedding crap? Fortunately, a "rustic" theme worked perfect for us, since my hubs and I are outdoorsy people. He even proposed in the nature preserve behind our home, with our dog in tow. I also didn't want to spend a small fortune on decorations, so I decided to make as much as possible. I surprised myself with my creativity. Here's some of what we did:

Stick candle - made with a $1 glass vase, sticks from the woods behind my home and green raffia. All hot-glued together and somehow still intact after a long travel from their fabrication site in Maryland to Michigan for the wedding


Centerpieces - I used a $1 vase and a drop-in candle holder that the hubs found on Ebay, sheer green ribbon, filled with a pine cone (my mom found these), acorns (my 2 year old niece picked up for us) and fake cranberries from Hobby Lobby, all atop a slice of tree trunk that Grandpa sliced up for us. Nothing fancy, but it worked for us!

Head table with stick candles

I'm really proud of these, if you can't tell.




The place cards - We snagged some sticks from my in-laws back yard, threw them in a vase from the dollar store with some pebbles and wah-la! The place cards were leave shaped, so it worked.

Turned out way cooler than anticipated!

 The decor obviously was not the main attraction at the wedding, but we ended up as Mr. and Mrs. by the end of the day, so I'd call it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment