Thursday, February 16, 2012

Quiet Book - Summer beach page

Another page completed! This is another installment of the four seasons pages, the summer scene. I was debating making this a picnic with watermelon and fireworks, but since we are now living quite close to the ocean, I figured a beach would be more appropriate. This page was easy but time consuming to make, as I had to sew every single object on by hand. There is a shovel, bucket and beach ball with velcro on the back of each piece to play with on the "beach." The sunshine also has velcro on the back. The seahorse and fish in the "ocean" slide along the ribbons to "swim." I was originally going to make a sea turtle, not a seahorse, but the baby bear has an orange seahorse stuffed animal from a recent trip to the aquarium that she is obsessed with, so I thought it was fitting. I left a 1" margin on the right side of the page for binding, so the ribbon ends won't be visible once the book is assembled. Everything but the ribbons in the "ocean" and the "S" in summer is made from felt.

Here's the finished page!

The removable pieces.
I used a stencil to make the bucket and shovel, and did the sunshine and beach ball by trial and error (mostly error).

Close up of the seahorse and fish. The twisted piece of ribbon at the bottom is for added texture because the baby bear loves to feel things and I don't really see that changing anytime soon.

The "empty" page - minus the pieces.

Close up of the title. The "S" is made from a fabric scrap and the rest of the word is sewn  on.
Only 4 pages left to make before I have to assemble the entire book! If you have any questions about how I've made this or any of the other pages, please leave a comment! I'll be happy to help as best as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment