Thursday, February 23, 2012

Keepsake Box

When we were growing up, my mom kept a box for each one of the kids to save things that were important to us. She called it our keepsake box. Looking at the items in that box as an adult is like opening up a treasure chest of my childhood. There are awards from school, pictures I drew, craft projects, little trinkets, and birthday cards in it that bring back tons of memories. I'm so glad that my mom kept all of this stuff for me and I wanted to do the same for baby bear. I actually borrowed this design idea from my sister :) All I needed for this project was a recycled copy paper box and some fabric.

Keepsake Box
Materials:
- Copy paper box with lid
- 1 1/2 yards of fabric (Baby bear picked out her lady bug print)
- Hot glue

1. Measure out the fabric to fit around the lid and bottom part of the box. Cut the fabric into two pieces.
2. Center the lid in the middle of its fabric piece, outside top facing down. Spread hot glue over the top of the lid and carefully place it onto the fabric. Spread some more glue on the long edges of the lid, pulling the fabric up the edges and smoothing it out. Spread glue on the short edges and smooth the last of the fabric onto the lid. I used the gift wrap technique to finish my edges (see picture) and give it a cleaner finish.
3. Repeat step two for the bottom of the box. Glue the extra fabric down to the inside of the box to help it hold up better against wear and tear.
4. Let the glue dry for at least an hour before you put the lid on the box!
5. Fill with memories!


Baby Bear's box is already full of baby shower cards, birth cards, newspapers and other items from the day she was born, mail that she's received from our family up north and items from her baptism. I plan on adding birthday cards, favorite little toys, pictures and projects she's made, awards and things from school and whatever else is a representation of her as she grows up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment